Huge wood abutments on the north-facing cliffs across the river at the entrance to this area remain of the highest Denver & Rio Grande narrow gauge which once spanned the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River for 800 feet at a height of 124 feet. Constructed in 1889, the trestle was wooden decked and ballasted in 1896 to deter fire. Two years after the train stopped running in 1933, the trestle was disassembled and the wood transported to Jorgenson Park in Gunnison for use in several civic projects.
High Bridge, courtesy Hinsdale County Museum
Lake Fork Bridge courtesy Hinsdale County Museum